Figs. Delicious, honey-ed, sweet figs. I love them. I don’t know what it is about these little guys—perhaps it’s because they remind me of Dutch still-life paintings, or Thanksgiving table centerpieces, or the sun-drenched Mediterranean where they grow in abundance. While I don’t live in the Mediterranean, I am lucky enough to live in California, where 98% of the nation’s fresh figs are grown, and Black Mission Figs (my favorite!) are beginning to show themselves at the farmers market. There are so many ways to enjoy this sweet treat—quarter them and wrap in slices of prosciutto, stuff them with goat cheese and broil in the oven, or just pop them in your mouth.
For breakfast today I decided to top my plain goat’s milk yogurt with figs and strawberries, drizzled with honey. The tang of the goat’s milk was the perfect complement to the honey-like sweetness of the figs. Yum!
Here’s some pics of my gorgeous and delicious breakfast—plus some recipes to get you inspired about using figs in the kitchen.
- Frisée Salad with Prosciutto, Roasted Figs, and Walnuts http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Frisee-Salad-with-Prosciutto-Roasted-Figs-and-Walnuts-105668
- Chicken with Figs in Ras-el-Hanout and Couscous (Try to find organic, pastured chicken, if possible) http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chicken-with-Figs-in-Ras-el-Hanout-and-Couscous-354852
- Pork Loin with Fig and Port Sauce (Look for good quality, all-natural pork, such as Niman Ranch) http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/pork-loin-with-fig-and-port-sauce-recipe/index.html
- Cornmeal and Fig Cake with Pine Nuts http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Cornmeal-and-Fig-Cake-with-Pine-Nuts-232103
- Grilled Honey-Orange Figs with Mascarpone and Pistachios http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/grilled-honey-orange-figs-with-mascarpone-and-pistachios-recipe/index.html
Did you know: The fig tree is one of the oldest cultivated plants in the world? Traces of cultivated fig trees dating to over 11,000 years have been found in several parts of the Mediterranean.